On February 24, 2022, a new extremely difficult period for our state began. On the same day, the President of Ukraine signed Decree No. 64/2022 «On the introduction of martial law in Ukraine». People's deputies approved this document with 300 votes. This decision was made in connection with the military aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine and based on the proposal of the National Security and Defense Council and Ukrainian legislation.
Given the introduction of martial law in Ukraine, the constitutional rights and freedoms of a person and a citizen in the field of work, guaranteed by articles 43-46 of the Constitution of Ukraine, may be temporarily limited. Such changes, first of all, are caused by the need to ensure the possibility of introducing and implementing measures of the legal regime of martial law, as well as creating conditions for the proper performance of labour duties by the parties to the labour contract.
Decent quality of working life and work is a top priority among social values and is also the main task for solving problems in the field of labour. Therefore, today there is an urgent need to adapt domestic legislation to martial law conditions, and to rethink approaches to solving the problems that have accumulated in Ukraine.
The currently amended and amended Code of Labor Laws of Ukraine defines the legal principles and guarantees of citizens of Ukraine exercising their right to dispose of their abilities for productive and creative work. But faced with modern realities, the Code cannot fully ensure the necessary regulation of labour relations and citizens' realization of the right to work.
The Law of Ukraine dated March 15, 2022 No. 2136-IX «On the organization of labour relations under martial law» introduced temporary corrections and restrictions to the national labour legislation in the process of work during Russia's military aggression.
So, in this article, we examined the changes made to the legislation and highlighted certain features of labour relations during the period of martial law.
1. Pro zatverdzhennya Ukazu Prezydenta Ukrayiny «Pro vvedennya voyennoho stanu v Ukrayini» [On employment].№ 2102-IKH (2022). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2102-20#Text [in Ukrainian].
2. Pro orhanizatsiyu trudovykh vidnosyn v umovakh voyennoho stanu [On employment]. № 2136-IKH (2022). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2136-20#Text[in Ukrainian].
3. Pro pravovyy rezhym voyennoho stanu [On employment]. № 389-VIII, st. 250 (2015). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/389-19#Text [in Ukrainian].
4. Kodeks zakoniv pro pratsyu Ukrayiny [On employment]. № 322-VIII, st. 375 (1971). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/322-08#Text [in Ukrainian].
5. Konstytutsiya Ukrayiny [On employment]. № 254k/96-VR, st. 141 (1996). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/254%D0%BA/96-%D0%B2%D1%80#Text [in Ukrainian].
6. Korolchuk Lyudmyla (2018). Pravo na sotsialni vidpustky: naukovo-teoretychnyy aspekt. Pidpryyemnytstvo, hospodarstvo i parvo [The right to social holidays: a scientific and theoretical aspect. Entrepreneurship, economy and law]. № 9. 85–90 [in Ukrainian].
7. Dudin V. (2022). Viyna trudyashchym? Shcho ne tak iz rehulyuvannyam pratsi pid chas voyennoho stanu [War on the workers? What is wrong with labour regulation during martial law]. Zhurnal sotsialnoyi krytyky «Spilne». Retrieved from https://commons.com.ua/uk/sho-ne-tak-iz-regulyuvannyam-praci-pid-chas-vo... Ukrainian].
8. Pro vnesennya zmin do deyakykh zakoniv Ukrayiny shchodo optymizatsiyi trudovykh vidnosyn [On employment]. № 2352-IKH (2022). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2352-20#Text.
9. Pro sotsialnyy i pravovyy zakhyst viyskovosluzhbovtsiv ta chleniv yikh simey [On employment]. № 2011-KHII, st. 190 (1992). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2011-12 [in Ukrainian].