Purpose - The purpose of the article is to study esports market, analyse data on esports dynamics in the world and Ukraine and possible investment areas of esports and its investment attractiveness.
Design/methodology/approach – Conducting the research, general scientific theoretical research methods have been used, namely, analysis, synthesis, systematization, explanation. The method of abstract and logical generalization was applied to study and analyze scientific publications, analytical reports, and legal documents.
Findings –. The ways of receiving funds in esports are considered and the scheme of esports market ecosystem is given. The place of Ukraine on the world market of esports is determined. Authors have also analyzed the existing Ukrainian legal and normative framework which regulates esports processes. The sizes and mechanisms of taxation of esports profits, as well as the factors influencing attractiveness of the given market have been considered.
Originality/value – The scientific novelty of the study is that it has been proved that esports market is attractive investment area because it contains many business models, allowing each investor to find short- and long-term projects, which tend to be profitable, and possible investment areas in the esports market have been substantiated.
Practical implications – The investment attractiveness has been analyzed by considering price-earnings ratio for esports companies, as well as investment opportunities for large companies and individuals have been characterized.
1. Horova K.O., Horovyi D.A., Kiporenko O.V. (2016). Osnovni tendentsii rozvytku rynku kibersportu [The main trends in the esports market]. Problemy i perspektyvy rozvytku pidpryiemnytstva [Problems and Prospects of Business Development], №4 (2), P. 51-55.
2. K 2022 hodu vyruchka ot kibersporta mozhet vyrasti do $2,3 mlrd. [By 2022, esports revenue could rise to $2.3 billion]. Available at: https://dota2.net/news/11164/
3. Zadvorskyi M. Yak kibersport peretvoryvsia na biznes z shalenymy prybutkamy: analiz prychyn [How esports has become a lucrative business: an analysis of the reasons]. Available at: https://games.24tv.ua/kibersport-peretvorivsya-biznes-shalenimi-novini-u...
4. Innovatsiini ta informatsiini tekhnolohii u fizychnii kulturi, sporti, fizychnii terapii ta erhoterapii [Innovative and information technologies in physical culture, sports, physical therapy and occupational therapy]. (2019). Materialy II Vseukrainskoi elektronnoi naukovo-praktychnoi konferentsii z mizhnarodnoiu uchastiu [Proceedings of the II All-Ukrainian Electronic Scientific-Practical Conference with International Participation]. Ed. O.A. Shynkaruk. K.: NUFVSU, 285 p.
5. Esports ecosystem in 2022: Key industry companies, viewership growth trends, and market revenue stats. Available at: https://www.insiderintelligence.com/insights/esports-ecosystem-market-re...
6. Global esports & live streaming market report. (2021). Newzoo, 43 p. Available at: https://newzoo.com/products/reports/global-esports-live-streaming-market...
7. Lazneva I. O. Tsaranenko D. I. (2018). Kibersport ta yoho vplyv na zminu struktury svitovoho rynku kompiuternykh ihor [Esports and its impact on changing the structure of the global computer gaming market]. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho natsionalnoho universytetu. Seriia: Mizhnarodni ekonomichni vidnosyny ta svitove hospodarstvo [Scientific Bulletin of Uzhhorod National University. Series: International Economic Relations and the World Economy] Issue 22, part 2, P. 63-67.
8. Esports earnings. Available at: https://www.esportsearnings.com/tournaments
9. Boiko A.O., Kuzmenko O. V., Koibichuk V. V., Kushnerov O. S. (2021). Rol ta mistse Ukrainskykh kiberhravtsiv u svitovomu kibersporti [The role and place of Ukrainian cyber players in world esports]. Visnyk Khmelnytskoho natsionalnoho universytetu [Bulletin of Khmelnytsky National University], No 4 (299), P. 175-181. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31891/2307-5732-2021-299-4-175-181.
10. Ukrainska federatsiia kibersportu [Ukrainian Federation of Esports]. Available at: https://esports.ua/about.
11. Lytvyn I.V., Vakulka S.V. (2021). Kibersportyvna industriia: sutnist, elementy ekosystemy ta osoblyvosti rozvytku i zaluchennia investytsii v Ukraini ta sviti [Esports industry: essence, elements of ecosystem and features of development and attraction of investments in Ukraine and the world]. Molodyi vchenyi [Young Scientist], No 1 (89), January, P. 167-173. DOI: https://doi.org/10.32839/2304-5809/2021-1-89-35
12. Novoselska Z. Shcho take kibersport? Dosvid ta perspektyvy Ukrainy [What is esports? Experience and prospects of Ukraine]. Available at: https://pravdatutnews.com/society/2021/12/06/10604-shcho-take-kibersport...
13. Diia City. Available at: https://city.diia.gov.ua/
14. Pavlysh O. (2022). Ctatus rezydenta "Diia City" otrymaly uzhe 55 kompanii: skilkom vidmovyly [55 companies have already received the status of a resident of "Action City": how many have been refused]. Ekonomichna pravda [Economic truth]. Available at: https://www.epravda.com.ua/news/2022/02/16/682420/
15. Mylliardy v ihre: za chto sponsory liubiat kibersport [Billions in the game: why sponsors love esports]. Available at: https://www.forbes.ru/biznes/388765-milliardy-v-igre-za-chto-sponsory-ly...
16. Hall S.B. (2020). How COVID-19 is taking gaming and esports to the next level. World Economic Forum. Available at: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/covid-19-taking-gaming-and-esport...
17. Kharebava T. (2020). Piat zapytan yurystu pro kibersport [Five questions to a lawyer about esports]. Yurydychna hazeta online [Legal newspaper online]. Available at: https://yur-gazeta.com/publications/practice/sportivne-pravo/pyat-zapita...
18. Rossolillo N. (2022). Investing in esports stocks. Available at: https://www.fool.com/investing/stock-market/market-sectors/communication...
19. Havran V.Ya., Hrytsai O.I., Havran M.I. (2014). Controlling the costs of industrial enterprises innovative processes. Visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu «Lvivska politekhnika» Problemy ekonomiky ta upravlinnia [Bulletin of Lviv Polytechnic National University Problems of Economics and Management]. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House, No. 799, P. 168-173.
20. What is Facebook's (NASDAQ:FB) P/E ratio after its share price tanked? (2020). Simply Wall St. Available at: https://is.gd/Dt5ejx