In the article the authors analyze the institutional basis for strengthening the EU security and the implementation of specific projects designed to expand cooperation between the Member States in the defence and security sectors. The point at issue is about Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO); the Coordinated Annual Review on Defence (CARD) and the European Defence Fund (EDF). The relevance of the comprehensive study of PESCO, CARD, EDF, which activities are aimed at ensuring the strategic component of cooperation, the analysis of the defence sector and funding priorities in the security sphere of the Union have been proved.
The authors claim that PESCO has become a key strategic initiative of the EU, CARD allows coordinating the development of military capabilities in the Member States; the EDF was created to coordinate, increase investment and improve defence interoperability between EU member states. The challenges faced within the functioning of these initiatives have been analyzed. It is alleged that a key challenge for the CARD is the unwillingness of Member countries to share national defence plans, as well as the available and potential coordination and harmonization of defence planning within NATO’s Defence Planning. The peculiarities of specific projects financed within the European Defense Fund (“Ocean 2020”, “Eurodrone”, “SPIDER”, “EuroSWARM”, “TRAWA”, “ACAMSII”, “Gossra”, “Vestlife”) have been analyzed. There is continued progress in the field of the EU security and defence: numerous defence projects have been initiated under PESCO; there is a synchronization of defence planning through the CARD; the investments in defence are stimulated by financing the defence research projects through the EDF, the improving military mobility is continuing; coordination of the EU-NATO cooperation is improving, etc.
- A European Defence Fund: €5.5 billion per year to boost Europe’s defence capabilities Brussels. Press Release. (2017). European Commission. Retrieved from http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-1508_en.htm
- European Council meeting conclusions. 14 December 2017. (2017). European Council. Retrieved from
- European Council, 22-23 June 2017. Main results. (2017). European Council. Counsil of the European Union. Retrieved from http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/european-council/2017/06/22-23-euco-conclusions_pdf/
- European Defence Fund – Factsheet. (2019). European Commission. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/34509
- European Defence Fund: €205 million to boost the EU’s strategic autonomy and industrial competitiveness. (2020). Europeansting. Retrieved from https://europeansting.com/2020/06/15/european-defence-fund-e205-million-to-boost-the-eus-strategic-autonomy-and-industrial-competitiveness/
- Fiott, D. (2017). The CARD on the EU Defence Table. European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS). Retrieved from https://www.iss.europa.eu/sites/default/files/EUISSFiles/Alert_10_CARD_0.pdf
- Fiott, D. (2019). Yearbook of European security. Retrieved from https://www.iss.europa.eu/content/euiss-yearbook-european-security-2019
- Gotkowska J. (2018). The Trouble with PESCO. The Mirages of European Defence. Point of View 69. Centre for Eastern Studies. Retrieved from https://www.osw.waw.pl/sites/default/files/pw_69_pesco_ang_net.pdf
- Moldovan, O. (2017). The Historic Summit of the European Council: Implications for Ukraine.Retrieved from https://mind.ua/openmind/20173535-istorichnij-samit-evropejskoyi-radi-naslidki-dlya-ukrayini
- Permanent Structured Cooperation updated list of PESCO projects – Overview. (2018). Council of the EU. Retrieved from https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/37028/table-pesco-projects.pdf
- Pilot Project EuroSWARM and SPIDER activities completed. (2018). EDA. Retrieved from https://www.eda.europa.eu/info-hub/press-centre/latest-news/2018/02/23/pilot-project-euroswarm-and-spider-activities-completed
- The European Defence Fund: Questions and Answers. (2017). Europa-nu. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/pl/memo_17_1476
- Treaty on European Union (as amended by the Treaty of Lisbon). (2009). Law of the European Union. [In Russian]. Retrieved from https://eulaw.ru/treaties/teu_old/