The article is about the fact that in modern mass-media photos more and more often become not only a visual background to informative, analytical or journalistic text, but as headlines attract attention of audience. Such kind of approach increases quality requirements of illustrative material in modern periodicals because popularity of texts which are published in newspapers and magazines depends on that. Some separate photos might become a kind of visual factage which does not need any verbal explanation.
A lot of attention is paid to the role, purpose and features of photos for news as a genre of modern photojournalism.
A short review of sources of research issues is made in the article. The author has considered the main definitions and features of news photography as one of the main informative genres of modern pictural journalism. It is accented on the fact that modern photojournalists have to orientate not only in genres of photojournalism but also to be able to use them in everyday practice. Here you can find views of photojournalism theorists on the condition of news photography. In the article are given recommendations of photojournalists practitioners and workers of information agencies on the main requirements of producing photos in this genre.
In the article process of producing news photos and their use in modern periodical publications are considered. The author emphasizes on the quality of such pictures and their place in visual accompaniment of informative text.
In the summary are given recommendations on preparation of photojournalists who are going to work in the genre of news photography.
- Balaklytskyy M. Image journalism. Educational and methodical manual. Kharkiv, 2019. 84 p.
- Vasenyna E. Photographer is a historian [Electronic resource]. Access mode: http://www1.photographer.ru/magazine/article.htm?Rubrika=64&id=610
- Volynets H. Evolution of visual and pictorial genres in the weekly «Correspondent». State and Regions. Series: Social Communications, 2018. Part 4. P. 37-45.
- Voron N. Genres of photojournalism: uch. allowance. For universities majoring in «Journalism». М., 2012. 145 p.
- Haladzhun Z. On the concept and types of social responsibility of the media / Z. Galadzhun // Television and radio journalism. Lviv, 2017. Issue 16. P. 68-74.
- Zapolskaya A. Production of news photography: analytical resources of social sciences. Bulletin SamGU, 2014. № 5. P. 30-34. https://doi.org/10.1089/gen.34.07.13
- Zapolskaya A. Theoretical and methodological approaches to the study of photojournalism as a practice of photo production / A. Zapolskaya // Bulletin of the Volgograd State University. un-ta. Ser 7, Philos, 2016. № 1. P. 82-94. https://doi.org/10.15688/jvolsu7.2016.1.11
- Zakharov S. Tendencies and issues of photo illustration of local periodicals. Journalistic Yearbook, 2012. № 1. P. 70-72.
- Yerusalymova M. Photo illustrations in news materials of the Internet media. Media environment, 2020. № 17. P. 32-37.
- Karter M. Modern newspaper design. M., 1998. 125 p.
- Kovaleva L. The place and role of photo images in modern methods of information transfer. Sign: the problem field of media education, 2017. № 3 (25). P. 193-197.
- Makdonald F. Photojournalism: truth or deception? [Electronic resource]. Access mode: https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/vert_cul/2015/07/150709_vert_cul_altered_i....
- Maksymovych M. Research of photojournalism. Television and radio journalism. Lviv, 2012. Iss. 11. P. 40-45.
- We are proud of what we do [Electronic resource]. Access mode: https://www.globallogic.com/ua/work/reuters/
- Nery H. Photojournalism today. Photographer. 2003. June 8.
- Suleymanova S. Tendencies of information visualization in the design of print media in Uzbekistan. Vestn. Chelyabinsk. state un-ta. Ser. Philology. Art history, 2013. P. 183-188.
- Terenteva Y. Phototext: the disclosure or construction of reality? Bulletin of NGTU. Management in social systems. Communicative technologists, 2014. № 3. P. 16-21.
- Shved O. Infographics as a means of visual communication in modern journalism. Humanitarian education in technical higher educational institutions: collection. Science. wash. Kyiv, University «Ukraine», 2014. Iss. 30. P. 305-313.
- Shevchenko V. Graphic organization of printed text and its artistic interpretation by means of compilation. Scientific Notes of the Institute of Journalism, 2001. Iss. 2. P. 53-69.
- Shevchenko V. Visual history as a new type of journalistic communication (on the example of Ukrainian magazines). Journalist's yearbook, 2013. № 2. P. 49-52.