The article is devoted to the study of popular global news telegram-channels, their impact on society, and the identification of advantages and disadvantages of this media format. The article examines prominent news channels such as The New York Times, BBC News, The Guardian, CNN and Reuters. Their features and differences are analyzed, the positive and negative aspects of using Telegram channels to receive news and information are described. For the research, the audience was also surveyed about their experience of using news telegram channels and their opinion about the advantages and disadvantages of this media format. The article also provides advice on choosing reliable and objective news telegram channels and warns about the possibility of spreading propaganda and biased information in some channels. The results of the study showed that Telegram news channels are mostly popular among young people who are looking for quick and convenient access to information. Surveys of the audience showed that the majority of respondents consider such channels convenient and accessible for receiving news. However, the study also revealed the risks of providing biased and fake information by some Telegram news channels. Therefore, it is important for users to pay attention on the content of Telegram channels and check information from other sources. The study of popular global news Telegram channels was conducted using the methods of activity and content analysis, which made it possible to identify the prevailing topics, types of materials and the level of audience activity. In addition, the study found that content quality and journalistic standards differ from channel to channel. Telegram channels The New York Times, BBC News, The The Guardian and Reuters have received high marks from audiences and experts for the quality and independence of their information. The CNN Telegram channel also has high journalistic standards. So, the article contains valuable information for those who are interested in news and use Telegram channels as a source of information. It will help to choose the most high-quality and reliable channels, as well as to use them with maximum benefit and caution.
1. Boczkowski, P. J., Papacharissi, Z. (2019). Trump, Facebook, and the importance of controlling the means of communication. International Journal of Communication. No. 13. Р. 3393-3397.
2. Dubois, E., Blank, G. (2018). The echo chamber is overstated: the moderating effect of political interest and diverse media. Information, Communication & Society. No. 21(5). Р. 729-745. URL : https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2018.1428656.
3. Gil, A. M. C., Afrashtehfar, K. I. (2020). Telegram Messenger: A suitable tool for Teledentistry. Journal of Oral Research. No. 9(1). Р. 4-6. DOI:10.17126/joralres.2020.001.
4. Hong, T., Nguyen, C. T., Lee, Y. I. (2019). How do social media influence college students' political participation? Exploring the roles of social capital and political talk. Information, Communication & Society. No. 22(11). Р. 1473-1491.
5. Herrero-Solana, V., Castro-Castro, C. (2022). Telegram Channels and Bots: A Ranking of Media Outlets Based in Spain. Societies. No. 12(6). Р. 164. URL : https://doi.org/10.3390/soc12060164.
6. Huda, C., Bachtiar, F. A., Supianto, A. A. (2019). Reporting Sleepy Driver into Channel Telegram via Telegram Bot. In: 2019 International Conference on Sustainable Information Engineering and Technology (SIET). (Р. 251-256). IEEE.
7. Jalilvand, A., Neshati, M. (2020). Channel retrieval: finding relevant broadcasters on Telegram. Social Network Analysis and Mining. No. 10. Р. 1-16.
8. Knuutila, A., Herasimenka, A., Bright, J., Nielsen, R., Howard, P. N. (2020). Junk news distribution on Telegram: The visibility of English-language news sources on public Telegram channels. The Computational Propaganda Research Project.
9. Lee, H., Shin, D. H., Kim, S. S. (2020). Why do people use different social networking services? A comparative study of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. Sustainability. No. 12(10). Р. 4043. ISSN 0718- 1876.
10. Negreira-Rey, M. C., López-García, X., Lozano-Aguiar, L. (2017). Instant messaging networks as a new channel to spread the news: Use of whatsapp and telegram in the Spanish online media of proximity. In: Recent Advances in Information Systems and Technologies: Vol. 35 (Р. 64-72). Springer International Publishing. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-56541-5_8.
11. Newman, N., Fletcher, R., Kalogeropoulos, A., Levy, D. A., Nielsen, R. K. (2021). Digital News Report 2021. Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism.
12. Nobari, A. D., Sarraf, M. H. K. M., Neshati, M., Daneshvar, F. E. (2021). Characteristics of viral messages on Telegram; The world's largest hybrid public and private messenger. Expert systems with applications. No. 168. Р. 114303. DOI:10.1016/j.eswa.2020.114303.
13. Plakhta, D. (2020). Telegram as a tool for political influence and manipulation. TV and Radio Journalism. Issue 19. P. 88-94. URL : http://dx.doi.org/10.30970/trj.2020.19.2955.
14. Tandoc Jr, E. C., Ferrucci, P., Duffy, M. (2015). Facebook use, envy, and depression among college students: Is facebooking depressing? Computers in Human Behavior. No. 43. Р 139-146. URL : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.10.053.
15. Wardle, C., Derakhshan, H. (2017). Information disorder: Toward an interdisciplinary framework for research and policy making. Council of Europe report. No. 1-48.