In today’s environment, organizations need new corporate strategies and models to protect profitability and competitiveness, as well as the heritage of natural resources. A circular economy is a model of production and consumption in which all resources and products are reused in the economic cycle, which can significantly reduce waste generation and create additional economic benefits for business. This is especially important in the context of the recovery from the economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Implemented quarantine restrictions have revealed how sensitive to global risks and inflexible the linear economic system is.
The purpose of this study is to identify and analyze ways to implement circular economy models in the corporate strategy of the organization. The objectives of the article are to study the latest publications on the definition of circular economy, corporate strategy and their relationship, description of the strategic planning process taking into account the models of circular economy, identification of basic business models of circular economy, analysis of examples of implementation of circular models conclusions.
To achieve the goal of the study, the authors’ different approaches to the interpretation of the concept of “corporate strategy” and its formation within the circular economy were analyzed, the process of strategic planning was highlighted and the main types of values created by the circular economy were identified. The key circular business models and their relationship with the corporate strategy of the organization are highlighted.
The main part of the article analyzes examples of implementation of the concept of circular economy in the corporate strategies of four selected Italian companies in various industries. A comparative description of the roles of the circular economy in the corporate strategy of each company and the benefits gained in the process of its implementation was carried out.
Conclusions were drawn on the importance of implementing the ideas of the circular economy at the stage of forming the strategy of the enterprise to achieve economic, environmental and social benefits.
1. Porter, M. (1996). What is strategy? Harvard Business Review 74(6), Harvard Business School Publishing, pp. 61-78.
2. Schenkel, M., Caniëls, M. C., Krikke, H. and van der Laan, E. (2015) Understanding value creation in closed loop supply chains - Past findings and future directions, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, vol. 37, pp. 729-745.
3. Johnson, G., Scholes, K. and Whittington, R. (2005) Exploring corporate strategy, 7th edn, Harlow, Financial Times Prentice Hall.
4. Wautelet, T. (2016). Circular Economy as part of the corporate strategy: Competitive advantage or contemporary trend? Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319272937_Circular_ Economy_as_part_of_the_corporate_strategy_Competitive_advantage_or_contemporary_trend.
5. Casadesus-Masanell, R. and Ricart, J. E. (2010) From Strategy to Business Models and onto Tactics, Long Range Planning, vol. 43, 2-3, pp. 195-215.
6. Osterwalder, A. and Pigneur, Y. (2010) Business model generation: A handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers, Hoboken, N.J., John Wiley & Sons, pp. 1-16.
7. Planing, P. (2015) Business Model Innovation in a Circular Economy Reasons for Non-Acceptance of Circular Business Models, pp. 4-6.
8. Maranesi, C.; De Giovanni, P. (2020) Modern Circular Economy: Corporate Strategy, Supply Chain, and Industrial Symbiosis, Sustainability 12, no. 22: 9383.
9. D'Amato, D., Droste, N., Allen, B., Kettunen, M., Lähtinen, K., Korhonen, J., Leskinen, P., Matthies, B.D., Toppinen, A. (2017). Green, circular, bio economy: A comparative analysis of sustainability avenues, Journal of Cleaner Production, Volume 168, pp. 716-734, ISSN 0959-6526, .
10. Bressanelli, G., Perona, M., & Saccani, N. (2019) Challenges in supply chain redesign for the Circular Economy: a literature review and a multiple case study, International Journal of Production Research, 57:23, 73957422,
11. European Commission (2019). The EU Environmental Implementation Review 2019 Country Report- ITALY. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/environment/eir/pdf/report_it_en.pdf
12. ENEL and Symbola Foundation (2018). 100 Italian Circular Economy Stories. Retrieved from: http://www.symbola.net/assets/files/100storie_DEF_Web_pag%20singole_25-0...
13. Ellen MacArthur Foundation (2015). Circulytics - measuring circularity. Retrieved from: https://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/resources/apply/circulytics-mea...