In a market economy, there are a significant number of shipping companies that compete with each other and fight for maximum profits in a highly competitive environment. Competitive advantages lie in the plane of organization of the fleet, which relate mainly to the management of shipping companies. Operators of shipping companies establish tactical and strategic cooperation with freight forwarders and other participants in the logistics chain for the successful implementation of business processes and subprocesses.
The study of the water transport of Ukraine from 2002 to 2020 revealed that in this period there were significant structural changes in freight turnover and traffic, which indicates the presence of serious systemic problems in management. If current trends continue, the national economy may lose such a strategically important sector. The shortcomings in the field of international maritime transport are caused, among other things, by inefficient management of business processes of Ukrainian shipping companies.
The business process of a shipping company is a set of interdependent tasks and works aimed at creating a product or service to meet the needs of their customers. The business processes of shipping companies are due to the characteristics of staff and the processes of international trade. Thus, the personnel of shipping companies, concentrated in the operational units, provide a range of services that ensure the movement of goods and passengers with the required level of quality. The complex of such services is described by many business processes and represents the main processes of the shipping company.
Improving the business processes of these companies must be viewed through the prism of the field of logistics, the main factors in the development of which are staff and international trade trends. Research and study of international experience in the field of business process management and its implementation in the activities of shipping companies of Ukraine to some extent will improve the declining trends in freight traffic and water transport, which have been observed in recent years.
- 1. Code of Merchant Shipping of Ukraine (1994), available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/176/95-%D0%B2%D1%80#Text (Accesses 3 Feb 2021).
2. Bolvanska, T.V., Borycheva, S.V. and Hermaniuk, Yu.M. (2019), "Research of dynamics of change of volumes of transportation of cargoes by rail and sea transport in the international connection", Transportni systemy ta tekhnolohii perevezen, vol. 18, available at: https://doi.org/10.15802/tstt2019/182577 (Accesses 5 Feb 2021).
3. Sotnychenko, L.L. (2017), "Research of directions of development of navigable lines of the leading ports of the world", Visnyk Pryazovskoho derzhavnoho tekhnichnoho universytetu. Seriia: Ekonomichni nauky, vol. 34, available at: https://doi.org/10.31498/2225-6725.34.2017.129178 (Accesses 4 Feb 2021).
4. Chornobai, L.I. and Duma, O.I. (2015), "Business processes of the enterprise: classification and structural-hierarchical model", Zbirnyk naukovykh prats' "Ekonomichnyj analiz" Ternopil's'koho natsional'noho ekonomichnoho universytetu, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 171-182.
5. Arefieva, O.V. and Lutska, T.V. (2009), Biznes-protsesy pidpryiemstv sfery posluh: faktory, formuvannia, konkurentnospromozhnist [Business processes of enterprises in the service sector: factors, formation, competitiveness], Vyd. Yevropeiskoho un-tu, Kyiv, Ukraine.
6. Bilovodska, O.A. (2010), Ekonomichne obgruntuvannia reinzhynirynhu biznes-protsesiv vyrobnychykh pidpryiemstv [Economic substantiation of reengineering of business processes of production enterprises], Mriia-1, Sumy, Ukraine.
7. Shemaieva, L.H. and Bezghin, K.S. (2009), Upravlinnia yakistiu biznes-protsesiv na pidpryiemstvi [Quality management of business processes at the enterprise], KhNEU, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
8. Budoratska, T.L. and Trofymenko, I.B. (2020), "Modeling of business processes of sea transportations", Vcheni zapysky TNU imeni V. I. Vernadskoho. Seriia: Ekonomika i upravlinnia, vol. 31 (70), no. 4, available at: https://doi.org/10.32838/2523-4803/70-4-47 (Accesses 4 Feb 2021).
9. Voichenko, T.O. (2018), "Business process modeling as a technology for planning the cost of fuels and lubricants in shipping companies", Efektyvna ekonomika, vol. 2, available at: http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=6111 (Accesses 6 Feb 2021).
10. Tymoshchuk, O.M., Danik, O.V. and Trofymenko, I.V. (2017), "Features of planning in the process of managing a shipping company", Suchasni informatsiini tekhnolohii u sferi bezpeky ta oborony, vol. 3, available at: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/sitsbo_2017_3_19 (Accesses 3 Feb 2021).
11. The official site of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2021), available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua (Accesses 1 Feb 2021).
12. The official site of the Naval Forces of the Armed Forces (2021), available at: https://navy.mil.gov.ua (Accesses 1 Feb 2021).
13. International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations FIATA (2021), available at: https://ameu.org.ua (Accesses 2 Feb 2021).