One of the main problems of rural residential areas is to provide the local population with quality drinking water, which is a major factor influencing their health. To solve this problem, it is necessary to implement effective measures not only at the state level but also at the regional and local levels. The main purpose of decentralization of power is to transfer the power and appropriate financial resources to the lowest levels of local self-government, which makes it possible for created amalgamated communities to use these resources to solve the priority issues. However, to determine the ecological state of rural settlements in the subsystem of drinking water quality, it is necessary to assess its quality in the territory where the community is situated. The investigation was carried out in 15 rural settlements of the Teterivka amalgamated community of the amalgamated Zhytomyr district. 36 water samples were selected from the sources of non-centralized water supply. Water quality classes were determined following DSTU (National Standards of Ukraine) 4808:2007 “Sources of Centralized Drinking Water Supply. Hygienic and Environmental Requirements for Water Quality and Selection Rules”. As a result, it has been established that nitrates make the largest contribution to the pollution of drinking water. In 47% of the selected samples, the nitrate content on average exceeded the norm; and in 46.7% of the investigated settlements, water belongs to quality class 4, defined as “mediocre”, “partially potable” of undesirable quality. A critical situation was recorded in the villages of Mykhailivka, Nova Rudnia and Staroshiika, where the nitrate content in all selected samples of the well water exceeded the norm. On average, 61% of the selected water samples did not meet the standard and were below the standard. According to the pH indicator, the quality classes vary from “excellent”, very pure water grading to the class of “good”, pure water of the desired quality to “satisfactory”, slightly contaminated water of acceptable quality. The total iron content exceeded the standard in 5.6% of the selected samples.
1. Bayanova, A.A. (2019). Monitoring the quality of drinking water of the regional decentralized water supply. IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 315 052014. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/315/5/052014
2. Burow, K.R., Nolan, B.T., Rupert, M.G. & Dubrovsky, N.M. (2010). Nitrate in Groundwater of the United States. Environmental Science and Technol. 44 (13), 4988-4997. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/es100546y
4. Cherniatina, V. A. (2015). Influence of decentralization on the development of rural areas. Theory and Practice of Public Administration, 3, 162-166. Retrieved from http://www.irbis-nbuv.gov.ua/cgi-bin/irbis_nbuv/cgiirbis_64.exe?I21DBN=L...
5. Drinking water. Requirements and control methods of quality, DSTU 7525:2014 (2014).Retrieved from http://iccwc.org.ua/docs/dstu_7525_2014.pdf
6. European Environment Agency (2018). European waters. Assessment of status and pressure. Report No. 7. Retrieved from https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/state-of-water
7. Jones, A.Q., Dewey, C.E., Doré, K., Majowicz, S.E., McEwen, S.A., David, W.T., Eric, M., Carr, D.J. & Henson, S. (2006). Public perceptions of drinking water: a postal survey of residents with private water supplies. BMC Public Health. 94. doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-6-94
8. Kelly, V.R., Cunningham, M.A., Curri, N., Findlay, S.E. & Caroll S.M. (2018). The Distribution of Road Salt in Private Drinking Water Wells in a Southeastern New York Suburban Township. Journal of Environment Quality. 47, 3, 445-451. doi: https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2017.03.0124.
9. Kozak, V.I. & Kozliuk, O.O. (2019). Development of sectoral strategy and programs of water supply, water disposal and hygiene in amalgamated communities: guidebook. К. :DESPRO. Retrieved from https://despro.org.ua/library/publication/rozr_galuz_strateg_2019.pdf
10. Likho, O.A. & Hakalo, O.I. (2017). Effect of iron content in water on the level of incidence of the population of Rivne oblast. “Water Resources Management in the Context of Climate Change”: proceedings of International Scientific and Practical Conference devoted to the World Water Day, March. Kyiv. 138-139.
11. Palapa, N.V. (2009). Pollution of drinking water in rural residential territories and measures to improve its quality. Agroecological Journal. 3, 43-45.Retrieved from http://journalagroeco.org.ua/issue/archive
12. Palapa, N.V. (2015). Assessment of rural residential territories according to drinking water quality. Agroecological Journal,4, 41-47. Retrieved from http://journalagroeco.org.ua/issue/archive
13. Pustovit, I.M (2013). Methodology of ecological and social evaluation of Ukrainian rural settlements territories. Scientific Reports of NULES of Ukraine. 1(37). Retrieved from http://www.nbuv.gov.ua/e-journals/Nd/2013_1/13pim.pdf
14. Sources of centralized drinking water supply. Hygienic and environmental requirements for water quality and selection rules, DSTU 4808:2007 (2007). Retrieved from http://online.budstandart.com/ru/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=53159
15. The Ukrainian Week (2018). Solution of environmental problems in regions: it’s in the hands of communities? Retrieved from https://tyzhden.ua/Society/208470.
16. Teterivska-gromada (2021). Retrieved from http://teterivska-gromada.gov.ua/.
17. Turbinsky, V.B. & Maslyuk, A.A. (2011). Health risks for the population of chemical composition drinking water. Hygiene and Sanitation. 2, 23-27.
18. Valerko, R.А. & Herasymchuk, L.O. (2020). Assessment of ecological integral index of rural settlements development in the radioactively contaminated territory based on drinking water quality indicators. Publishing House “Baltija Publishing”, 80–97. doi: https://doi.org/10.30525/978-9934-588-45-7.5
19. Valerko, R.A. & Herasymchuk, LO (2020). Organic agriculture as a factor of influence on the content of nitrates in drinking water sources of non-centralized water supply of rural settlements. Ecological Sciences. 3(30), 124–128. doi: https://doi.org/10.32846/2306-9716/2020.eco.3-30.21
20. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2020). On formation and liquidation of raions. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/807-IX#Text.
21. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2010). On approval of the State Sanitary Rules and Regulations “Hygienic Requirements to Drinking Water Intended for Human Consumption” (DSanPiN 2.2.4-171-10). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0452-10.