The essence and role of transaction costs are analyzed; it is shown that their share in enterprises is significant. Transaction costs, in particular, are defined as costs in the field of exchange related to acts of sale, transfer of property rights, emphasizing that they are not directly related to the production process of enterprises, but to organizational issues of their activities. Modern business conditions lead to an increase of transaction costs, associated with an expansion of the range of counterparties, a continuous increase in information flows, specific costs depending on ownership factors, etc.
Trends in growth of such costs at domestic enterprises were identified and reasons for their high level were given. Classification of transaction costs of enterprises is presented. Key factors that complicate the control and minimization of transaction costs are highlighted. Examples of hidden transaction costs are given. Relationship between such costs and the value creation chain of enterprises is described, and it is shown that not all groups of transaction costs are related to the stages of product creation. Examples of impact of these costs on a production process are presented.
In general, increase in the scale of enterprises' activities due to the addition of related industries to their composition can lead to a decrease in transaction costs. On the other hand, due to the increase in a size of the enterprise and the complexity of its structure, the costs of its general management are increasing. The optimal size of the enterprise can be reached when the savings from the reduction of transaction costs associated with the growth of the enterprise will become equal to the additional costs of managing it.
It is shown that application of the proposed measures will ensure reduction of transaction costs and will positively affect the level of expenses of enterprises in general and contribute to the growth of the efficiency of their activities.
- Vlasenko T. A. (2018). Zabezpechennia efektyvnosti menedzhmentu personalu za rakhunok upravlinnia transaktsiinymy vytratamy [Ensuring the effectiveness of personnel management through the management of transaction costs]: autoref. PhD thesis: 08.00.04; Kharkiv national economy University. Kh., 20 p.
- Havkalova N. L., Vlasenko T. A. (2021). Doslidzhennia vplyvu transaktsiinykh vytrat pidpryiemstva na efektyvnist menedzhmentu personalu na prykladi pidpryiemstv Kharkivskoho rehionu [Study of the impact of transaction costs of the enterprise on the effectiveness of personnel management on the example of enterprises of the Kharkiv region]. Theory and practice of public administration, 1(32), 204–211.
- Zosimenko T. I. (2010). Indykatory transaktsiinykh vytrat v protsesi transformatsii ekonomichnoi systemy [Indicators of transaction costs in the process of transformation of the economic system]. Effective economy, 2. Retrieved from: http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=143.
- Kotskulych T. (2014). Transanktsiini vytraty: osnovni aspekty teorii transanktsiinykh vytrat yak faktora optymizatsii diialnosti pidpryiemstv [Transaction costs: the main aspects of the theory of transaction costs as a factor in the optimization of enterprise activity]. Economist, 7, 36–39.
- Laburtseva O. I. (2019). Upravlinnia vytratamy pidpryiemstva v konteksti minimizatsii rivnia transaktsiinykh vytrat [Enterprise cost management in the context of minimizing the level of transaction costs]. Economic space, 150, 61-65.
- Storozhuk T. M., Bestyuk A. M. (2021). Aktualni pytannia obliku transaktsiinykh vytrat ta vtrat [Current issues of accounting for transaction costs and losses]. Pryazovsky Economic Bulletin, 1(24), 221–227.
- Yakymenko-Tereshchenko N. V., Yershova N. Yu., Mylova K. A. (2022). Napriamky udoskonalennia obliku ta kontroliu transaktsiinykh vytrat pry pryiniatti upravlinskykh rishen dlia pidvyshchennia konkurentospromozhnosti pidpryiemstva [Directions for improving the accounting and control of transaction costs when making management decisions to increase the competitiveness of the enterprise]. State and regions. Series: Economics and Entrepreneurship, 1 (124), 99–105.
- Allen D. W. (1999). Transaction costs. Encyclopedia of law and economics.
- Alston, L. J., Gillespie, W. (1989). Resource coordination and transaction costs: a framework for analyzing the firm/market boundary. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 11(2), 191–212.
- Coase R. (1937). The Nature of the Firm. Economica, 4 (16), 386–405.
- Shahab S. (2022). Transaction Costs in Planning Literature: A Systematic Review. Journal of Planning Literature, 37(3), 403–414.
- Yousuf A. (2017). Transaction Costs: A Conceptual Framework. International Journal of Engineering and Management Sciences, 2, 131–139. 10.21791/IJEMS.2017.3.13.