The problems of wave field modeling with finite element method in unbounded domains and methods to deal with them are analyzed. To obtain optimal solution, using of infinite elements is proposed on the boundaries of the modeled area combined with standard finite-element modeling inside the area. It is important however to choose the shape functions of infinite elements depended on the conditions of wave decay at infinity.
1. Bettess P. Infinite Elements. Penshaw Press, 1992. - P. 265.
2. Bettess, J. A. and Bettess, P., A new mapped infinite wave element for genearal wave diffraction problems and its validation on the ellipse diffraction problem, Corn-put. Method Appl. - M., 164. - 1998. - P. 17-48.
3. Givoli D. Numerical Methods for Problems in infinite Domains, Elsevier, amsterdam, 1992.
4. Geers T.L. Computational Methods for Unbounded Domains, Kluver Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1998.
5. Astley A.J. Infinite Elements for wave problems: a review of current formulations and an assessment of accuracy. Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., to appear, 1999.
6. Gerdes R. Infinite Elements for wave problems. J.COmput. Acoustics, 8. - 2000. - P.43-62.
7. Zienkiewicz O.C., Taylor R.L. The Finite Element Method. - V 1-3. - 2000.