Based on theoretical and legal analysis, the article summarizes the peculiarities of police activity as a component of the security and defence sector during the period of russian aggression.
It has been proved that despite the full-scale undeclared criminal invasion, the Armed Forces of Ukraine, with the strong financial and military support of Western partners, are victoriously overcoming the resistance of the russian occupiers and are carrying out a systematic counter-offensive against the "world's second victorious russian army", and at the same time, heroically destroying the enemy's military equipment and manpower on a daily basis, far-sightedly take strategic decisions on reforming the activities of public authorities, and especially of the security and defence sector.
It has been determined that the formation and improvement of the security and defence sector of Ukraine has always been relevant, both in peacetime and in the current period of the russian invasion. At the same time, the doctrinal provisions on their legal status and its improvement in wartime remain insufficiently developed and require theoretical and practical in-depth research.
The miscalculations, made in the organization of defence industry procurement, headed by the Ukroboronprom Defence Industrial Concern, have been outlined. However, since the beginning of February 2022, the state has adopted a number of legislative changes aimed at improving the Armed Forces of Ukraine current model, law enforcement agencies and the military-industrial complex, and bringing them in line with NATO and European Union standards.
The state of the police as a security and defence sector entity during martial law proves that Ukrainian law enforcement officers, together with the Armed Forces of Ukraine, are boldly repelling the criminal russian attack, protecting the lives and health of the Ukrainian population, defending the territorial integrity and independence of Ukraine. It has been stated that one of the important factors in optimizing the activities of the police during the war is the concern of the state authorities for improving their social protection.
It has been noted that the police, in addition to performing own duties during martial law aimed at identifying and prosecuting criminals, searching for missing persons, and taking preventive measures to protect public order and security, carry out activities, related to the clearance of enemy mines by the National Police sappers, and the destruction of unexploded ordnance at the risk of life and health. According to statistics, about 50 specialists in pyrotechnics were killed, and more than 100 were injured during humanitarian demining.
It has been stated that at the initiative of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, 8 assault brigades are currently being formed on the basis of the National Police, the State Border Guard Service and the National Guard: "Stalevy Kordon", "Chervona Kalyna", "Lyut’", "Rubizh", "Spartan", "Kara-Dag", "Bureviy" and "AZOV". The basis of the assault brigades will be really motivated and patriotic military personnel and former law enforcement officers. In addition, the main priority in ensuring the safe life of the population under martial law is to strengthen police cooperation with local governments and public organizations and to develop joint measures to protect public order and security.
It has been noted that despite a number of regulations adopted during martial law aimed at improving the conditions of police service, there are still problems with the failure to resolve issues related to strengthening administrative and criminal liability for administrative offences and war crimes; abolition of the average salary at the place of work; unregulated procedure for serving a summons to territorial recruitment centres, etc.
It has been proved that in the course of ensuring public order and security during the russian-Ukrainian war, the police in its professional activity uses not only organizational and legal forms and methods with wide participation of the security and defence forces, territorial defence and public formations, but also hone the skills in conducting operational and search activities aimed at combating crime and eliminating enemy sabotage groups, which enables solving the tasks set in countering russian aggression under martial law.
1. Viyna Rosiyi proty Ukrayiny: politsiya vyyavyla ponad 16,5 tysyachi zahyblykh u desyaty oblastyakh. (2023). [Russia's war against Ukraine: police find more than 16.5 thousand dead in ten regions]. Retrieved from: https://tsn.ua/ato/viyna-rosiyi-proti-ukrayini-policiya-viyavila-ponad-16-5-tisyachi-zagiblih-u-desyati-oblastyah-2241226.html. [in Ukrainian].
2. Ahresiya proty Ukrayiny: rezolyutsiyu Heneralʹnoyi Asambleyi OON vid 2 bereznya 2022 roku. [Aggression against Ukraine: UN General Assembly resolution of March 2, (2022)] Retrieved from: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-world/3418304-agresia-proti-ukraini-rezolucia-genasa mblei-oon.html. [in Ukrainian].
3. D. Kuleba. (2022). Rezolyutsiya «Ahresiya proty Ukrayiny» bude vykorystana u mizhnarodnykh. [D. Kuleba. Resolution "Aggression against Ukraine" will be used in international courts]. Retrieved from: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-polytics/3418288-kuleba-pro-rezoluciu-genasamblei-oon-tak-vigladae-antivoenna-koalicia-za-ukrainu.html. [in Ukrainian].
4. Pro natsionalʹnu bezpeku Ukrayiny: Zakonu Ukrayiny vid 21 chervnya 2018 roku № 2469-VIII. [On the National Security of Ukraine: Law of Ukraine of June 21, (2018), No. 2469-VIII ]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2469-19/print.[in Ukrainian]
5. Naperekir usʹomu: protses oboronnoyi reformy v Ukrayini.(2022).[Against all odds: the process of defense reform in Ukraine].Retrieved from: https://nako.org. ua/media/ naperekir- usyomu-proces-oboronnoyi-refor... Ukrainian].
6. Stratehiya staloho rozvytku “Ukrayina-2020”: Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrayiny vid 12 sichnya 2015 r. № 5. [Sustainable Development Strategy "Ukraine-2020": Decree of the President of Ukraine of January 12, (2015), No. 5]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/5/2015#n10. [in Ukrainian].
7. Stratehiya pidvyshchennya efektyvnosti diyalʹnosti subʺyektiv hospodaryuvannya derzhavnoho sektoru ekonomiky: postanova Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrayiny vid 27 travnya 2015 r. № 662-r. (2015). [Strategy for Improving the Efficiency of Business Entities in the Public Sector of the Economy: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine 27.05.(2015). № 662-r.] Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/662-2015-%D1%80#Text. [in Ukrainian].
8. Pro osoblyvosti reformuvannya pidpryyemstv oboronno-promyslovoho kompleksu derzhavnoyi formy vlasnosti»: Zakon Ukrayiny vid 13 lypnya (2021) r. № 1630-IX. [On Peculiarities of Reforming the State-Owned Defense Industry Enterprises": Law of Ukraine of July 13, 2021, No. 1630-IX]. Retrieved from: https://urst.com.ua/ download_act/pro_ osoblyvosti. reformuvannia_pidpryiemstv_oboronno_promyslovoho. [in Ukrainian].
9. Lyubov Bukryeyeva. Shlyakh v nikudy, abo pro reformu "oboronky", aviatsiynu haluzʹ ta sytnyy "Ukroboronprom". (2022). [ Lyubov Bukreeva. The road to nowhere, or about the defense reform, the aviation industry and the hearty Ukroboronprom]. Retrieved from: https://defence-ua.com/minds_and_ ideas/shljah_v _nikudi_ abo_ pro_ reformu_ oboronki_aviatsijnu_ galuz_ta_sitnij_ ukroboronprom-6051.html.[in Ukrainian].
10. Pytannya deyakykh vyplat viysʹkovosluzhbovtsyam, osobam ryadovoho i nachalʹnytsʹkoho skladu, politseysʹkym ta yikh simʺyam pid chas diyi voyennoho stanu: postanovy Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrayiny vid 28 lyutoho 2022 r. № 168. (2022). [Issues of certain payments to servicemen, rank-and-file and senior officers, police officers and their families during martial law: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of February 28, 2022, No. 168]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/168-2022-%D0%BF#Text. [in Ukrainian].
11. Zabezpechennya Zbroynykh Syl Ukrayiny - klyuchovyy priorytet derzhavy zadlya dosyahnennya myru ta zberezhennya derzhavy. (2022). [ Providing for the Armed Forces of Ukraine is a key priority of the state to achieve peace and preserve the state]. Retrieved from: https://www.rada.gov. ua/ news/razom/221895.html. [in Ukrainian].
12. Skilʹky hroshey Ukrayina otrymala v 2022 rotsi vid SSHA ta mizhnarodnykh soyuznykiv. (2022). [How much money Ukraine received in 2022 from the United States and international allies]. Retrieved from:https://suspilne.media/280175-skilki-grosej-ukraina-otrimala-vid-ssa-ta-miznarodnih-souznikiv/.[in Ukrainian].
13. Putin prohraye informatsiynu viynu proty Ukrayiny - ochilʹnyk rozvidky Brytaniyi. (2022). [Putin is losing the information war against Ukraine - British intelligence chief]. Retrieved from: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2022/08/19/71 45213/.[in Ukrainian].
14. Komanda «Voks Ukrayina». (2022). [Vox Ukraine team]. Retrieved from: Retrieved from: https://voxukraine.org/opytuvannya-spryjnyattya-reform-ukrayintsyamy-u-period-povnomasshtab noyi-vijny/.[in Ukrainian].
15. Podiyi, yaki sformuvaly i zmitsnyuyutʹ Nezalezhnistʹ Ukrayiny. (2022). [Events that shaped and strengthened the Independence of Ukraine]. Retrieved from: https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/podii-shcho-formuyut-nezalezhnist/31405953. html. [in Ukrainian].
16. Pro Natsionalʹnu politsiyu: Zakon Ukrayiny vid 2 lypnya 2015 roku № 580-VII. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/580-19/print [On the National Police: Law of Ukraine dated July 2, 2015 No. 580-VII ]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/580-19/print. [in Ukrainian].
17. Pro vnesennya zmin do poryadkiv, zatverdzhenykh postanovamy Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrayiny vid 3 serpnya 2006 r. № 1081 i vid 2 veresnya 2015 r. № 728: postanova Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrayiny vid 06 sichnya (2023) r. № 15. [ On Amendments to the Procedures Approved by the Resolutions of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of August 3, 2006 No. 1081 and September 2, 09.2015 No. 728: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of January 06, 2023 No. 15]. Retrieved from:https://www.kmu.gov.ua/npas/pro-vnesennia-zmin-do-poriadkiv-zatverdzhe nykh-p-a15/. [in Ukrainian].
18. Pro vnesennya zmin do zakoniv Ukrayiny "Pro Natsionalnu politsiyu" ta "Pro Dystsyplinarnyy statut Natsionalnoyi politsiyi Ukrayiny" : Zakon Ukrayiny vid 15 bereznya 2022 roku No. 2123-IX. (2022). [On
Amendments to the Laws of Ukraine "On the National Police" and "On the Disciplinary Statute of the National 218 Police of Ukraine" : Law of Ukraine of March 15, 2022, No. 2123-IX]. URL :
https://doi.org/10.32084/tkp.4457 https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2123-20#Text/ [in Ukrainian].
19. Za rik do vidpovidalʹnosti prytyahnuly ponad 600 posadovtsiv ZSU ta Minoborony. (2022). [More than 600 officials of the Armed Forces and the Ministry of Defense were brought to justice over the year]. Retrieved from: https://suspilne.media/380675-za-rik-do-vidpovidalnosti-pritagnuli-ponad... vciv-zsu-ta-minoboroni-reznikov. [in Ukrainian].
20. U MVS vidpovily, skilʹky potribno vytratyty na rozminuvannya terytoriyi Ukrayiny. (2023). [The Ministry of Internal Affairs answered how much should be spent on demining the territory of Ukraine]. Retrieved from: https://dengi.ua/ua/finance/7135107-v-mvd-otvetili-skolko-nuzhno-potratit-na-razminirovanie-territorii-ukrainy/. [in Ukrainian].
21. Pro zatverdzhennya Poryadku zdiysnennya pershocherhovykh zakhodiv shchodo zneshkodzhennya (znyshchennya) vybukhonebezpechnykh predmetiv na terytoriyi Ukrayiny ta orhanizatsiyi vzayemodiyi pid chas yikh vykonannya: nakaz MVS ta MO № 833/443 vid 21 hrudnya 2021 roku. (2021). [On Approval of the Procedure for Implementation of Priority Measures for the Disposal (Destruction) of Explosive Ordnance on the Territory of Ukraine and Organization of Cooperation during their Implementation: Order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Defense No. 833/443 of December 21, 2021]. Retrieved from: https://ips.ligazakon.net/ document/RE39070?an=1. [in Ukrainian].
22. Blyzʹko 30% terytoriyi Ukrayiny potrebuyutʹ rozminuvannya – MVS. URL: pid holovuvannyam Premʺyer-ministra. (2022). [About 30% of the territory of Ukraine needs demining - MIA. URL: under the chairmanship of the Prime Minister ]. Retrieved from: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-ato/3631742-blizko-30-teritorii-ukraini-... Ukrainian].
23. V Ukrayini bude stvoreno tsentr humanitarnoho rozminuvannya, — Premʺyer-ministr. (2023). [Humanitarian demining center to be established in Ukraine, - Prime Minister]. Retrieved from: https://dsns.gov.ua/uk/news/ostanni-novini/v-ukrayini-bude-stvoreno-cent... go-rozminuvannia-premjer-ministr. [in Ukrainian].
24. Postanova kolehiyi suddiv Druhoyi sudovoyi palaty Kasatsiynoho kryminalʹnoho sudu Verkhovnoho Sudu vid 24.11.2020 u spravi № 481/227/18 (provadzhennya № 51 – 2539 km 20). (2020). [ Decision of the panel of judges of the Second Judicial Chamber of the Criminal Court of Cassation of the Supreme Court of 24.11.2020 in case No. 481/227/18 (proceedings No. 51 - 2539 km 20) ]. Retrieved from: https://reyestr.court.gov.ua/Review/93119786. [in Ukrainian].
25. Zlochyny, vchyneni viysʹkovymy rf pid chas povnomasshtabnoho vtorhnennya v Ukrayinu (stanom na 27 sichnya). (2023). [Crimes committed by the Russian military during the full-scale invasion of Ukraine (as of January 27)]. Retrieved from: https://www.npu.gov.ua/news/zlochyny-vchyneni-viiskovymy-rf-pid-chas-povnomasshtabnoho-vtorhnennia-v-ukrainu-stanom-na-27-sichnia. [in Ukrainian].
26. Ihor Klymenko. Pid chas viyny politseysʹki zadokumentuvaly desyatky tysyach porushenʹ prav lyudyny, za yaki okupanty mayutʹ vidpovisty. (2022). [Ihor Klymenko. During the war, police officers documented tens of thousands of human rights violations for which the occupiers must be held accountable]. Retrieved from: https://www.npu.gov.ua/news/pid-chas-viiny-politseiski-zadokumentuvaly-desiatky-tysiach-porushen-prav-liudyny-za-iaki-okupanty-maiut-vidpovisty-ihor-klymenko. [in Ukrainian].
27. Pro uchastʹ hromadyan v okhoroni hromadsʹkoho poryadku i derzhavnoho kordonu: Zakon Ukrayiny vid 22 chervnya 2000 roku № 1835-III. (2022). [On the participation of citizens in the protection of public order and the state border: Law of Ukraine of June 22, 2000, No. 1835-II]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1835-14/print. [in Ukrainian].