The article carries out a theoretical and legal study of religious organizations as participants in the discourse of the concept of human rights, clarification of the peculiarities of their perception of human rights in the historical context. It is proved that the contribution of Western and Eastern religious organizations to the development of the concept of human rights is not homologous. Human rights theory is a legacy of Western civilization, and it is natural that Western religious organizations (both Catholic and Protestant) develop their human rights teachings within this cultural paradigm. World religious organizations in their social doctrines define their own position regarding certain human rights. Catholic and Protestant religious organizations were the first to form such doctrines, and at the end of the 20th century. this issue became relevant in the Orthodox Churches as well.
It has been found that two polar positions can be traced in the modern leading religions of the world, on the one hand, emphasis is placed on the observance of all human rights declared by international legal documents, on the other hand, differences in their understanding of human rights and liberal legal interpretation are indicated. The position they take depends on which aspects of this problem they consider to be their priority
1. Zakon Ukrainy «Pro svobodu sovisti ta relihiini orhanizatsii». [Law of Ukraine «On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations»]. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/987-12#Text (Accessed: 27.01.2023). [in Ukrainian].
2. Hromovchuk M. V., Bielov D. M. (2022) Relihiia ta pravo: teoretyko-metodolohichni zasady spivvidnoshennia. [Religion and law: theoretical and methodological foundations of the relationship.]. Analitychno-porivnialne pravoznavstvo. No 2. P.44–51. [in Ukrainian].
3. Zolotarova Ya. I. (2013) Formuvannia kontseptsii prav liudyny u zovnishnii politytsi SShA v 70-ti rr. KhKh st.[Formation of the concept of human rights in the US foreign policy in the 1970 s.]. Naukovi pratsi istorychnoho fakultetu Zaporizkoho natsionalnoho universytetu. Vol. XXXVI. P. 272–275. [in Ukrainian].
4. Pocklington D. (2016). Catholic and Protestant approaches to law: convergence or divergence? Lawand Religion Scholars Network (LARSN) Annual Conference. (Oxford, 10 May 2016). URL: http://www.lawandreligionuk.com/2016/05/10/catholic-and-protestant-appro... (Accessed: 27.01.2023). [in English].
5. Huber V. (2000) Prava liudyny i bibliina pravova dumka. [Human rights and biblical legal thought]. Relihiina svoboda i prava liudyny: bohoslovski studii. U 2 vol. Vol.1. Lviv: Svichado Publ. P. 85–101. [in Ukrainian].
6. Traer R. (1991). Faith in Human Rights: Support in Religious Traditions for a Global Struggle. URL: https://books.google.la/books?id=CyGhyLqJT6IC&printsec=copyright#v=onepa... (Accessed: 27.01.2023). [in English].
7. Zahalna deklaratsiia prav liudyny. [Universal Declaration of Human Rights]. Baza danykh «Zakonodavstvo Ukrainy» / VR Ukrainy. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_015#Text (Accessed: 27.01.2023). [in Ukrainian].
8. Marynovych M. (2000) Do problemy spryiniattia relihiinoi svobody i prav liudyny suchasnoiu ukrainskoiu dumkoiu. [To the problem of perception of religious freedom and human rights by modern Ukrainian thought]. Relihiina svoboda i prava liudyny: bohoslovski studii. U 2 vol. Vol.1. Lviv: Svichado Publ. P. 7–16. [in Ukrainian].
9. Chornopyska V. Z. (2020). Systema administratyvno-pravovykh harantii diialnosti relihiinykh orhanizatsii v Ukraini: suchasnyi stan ta shliakhy udoskonalennia. [The system of administrative and legal guarantees of the activity of religious organizations in Ukraine: current state and ways of improvement]: monohrafiia. Lviv: SPOLOM Publ. 424 р. [in Ukrainian].