Purpose. The purpose of the study is to analyze the impact of educational aspects on the volume of intellectual migration of human capital, the study of factors, motives, directions, and consequences of migration.
Design/methodology/approach. Based on the latest research and publications on this topic, we can hypothesize that in the conditions of the knowledge economy and rapid public life digitalization, visa with the EU liberalization, popularization of study abroad, the volume of highly educated youth of emigration increases, leading to hypothetical potential losses of the GDP of the donor country. To study the educational aspects of intellectual migration of human capital were used research methods, in particular, theoretical generalization, statistical analysis, graphic and tabular methods, etc.
Findings. The number of issued residence permits in the EU countries was analyzed, and it was established that Poland is the absolute leader among the EU-28 countries in the number of residence permits issued to Ukrainians. The motives of migrant workers and the change in the trend of "leaving, earning and returning" to the trend of "leaving, settling in and staying" among young people were studied. The volumes of migration among young people are analyzed, which testify to the annual increase in the number of Ukrainian students abroad, and the reasons for this phenomenon are established. A hypothetical calculation of the country's GDP potential losses from the emigration of human capital is made.
Practical implications. The studied impact of educational aspects on the volume of intellectual migration of human capital is of great practical importance as it was found that a large part of the active, competitive, and mobile population associates opportunities for their well-being and professional development with external migration. This trend poses significant threats to the national economy and human capital development. So the presented materials in the article may be useful to representatives of institutions and for scientists whose activities are related to the research of the volumes, reasons, and consequences of migration in Ukraine.
Originality/value. The calculation of hypothetical losses from the human capital migration shows that they have a much greater impact than foreign remittances of migrants, and if migration turns into emigration, Ukraine will lose the most valuable - people whose education has invested heavily, which turned into ordinary expenses the cost will be given to recipient countries that can offer better conditions for self-realization, material security, and development.
1. Pro skhvalennia Stratehii derzhavnoi mihratsiinoi polityky Ukrainy na period do 2025 roku: Rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 12.07.2017 № 482-r. [On approval of the Strategy of the state migration policy of Ukraine for the period till 2025]. Retrieved from: http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/482-2017-%D1%80#n10 [in Ukrainian]
2. Residence permits - statistics on first permits issued during the year. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Resid...
3. Residence permits statistics іn the EU-28, by reason, 2019. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=File:...(%25).png
4. Monthly minimum wages - bi-annual data. Retrieved from: https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=earn_mw_cur&lan...
5. Average wages in Ukraine since 2010 (equivalent to EUR - Euro). Retrieved from: https://index.minfin.com.ua/ua/labour/salary/average/eur/ [in Ukrainian]
6. Mostova Yu., Rakhmanin S. Krovotecha (2015). Chomu ukraintsi pokydaiut svoiu krainu. [Why Ukrainians are leaving their country.] Retrieved from: https://dt.ua/internal/krovotecha-chomuukrayinci-pokidayut-svoyu-krayinu.... [in Ukrainian]
7. Markov I. Hlobalizatsiia i mihratsii: teoretychni ta metodolohichni aspekty doslidzhennia sotsiodynamiky. [Globalization and migration: theoretical and methodological aspects of the study of sociodynamics]. Narodoznavchi zoshyty. № 6. S. 1320-1230. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/NaZo_2015_6_8 [in Ukrainian]
8. Inbound internationally mobile students by country of origin. Retrieved from: http://data.uis.unesco.org/Index.aspx?queryid=171#
9. Ukrainske suspilstvo: mihratsiinyi vymir : nats. dopovid (2018) [Ukrainian society: migration dimension: nat. report]. Instytut demohrafii ta sotsialnykh doslidzhen im. M. V. Ptukhy NAN Ukrainy. K. 396 s. [in Ukrainian]
10. Libanova E.M. (2018). Zovnishni trudovi mihratsii ukraintsiv: masshtaby, prychyny, naslidky. [External labor migration of Ukrainians: scale, causes, consequences]. Demohrafiia ta sotsialna ekonomika. № 2 (33). S. 24. [in Ukrainian]
11. Kliuchkovska I., Piatkovska O. (2017). Mihratsiini nastroi studentiv v umovakh vizovoi liberalizatsii (opytuvannia studentiv NU «LP» ta NTUU «KPI») [Migration mood of students in the conditions of visa liberalization (survey of students of NU "LP" and NTUU "KPI")]. Lviv, 30 s. Retrieved from: http://miok.lviv.ua/ [in Ukrainian]
12. Piatkovska O. (2018).Infrastrukturne zabezpechennia transkordonnoho rynku pratsi v suchasnykh umovakh ukrainskoi trudovoi mihratsii do Polshchi. Transkordonne spivrobitnytstvo ta spilnyi yevropeiskyi prostir: teoriia, praktyka i novi mozhlyvosti [Infrastructural support of the cross-border labor market in the current conditions of Ukrainian labor migration to Poland. Cross-border cooperation and the common European space: theory, practice and new opportunities.]. Kolektyvna monohrafiia. Lviv- Olsztyn: Natsionalnyi universytet «Lvivska politekhnika». 160 s. (S. 115-127). [in Ukrainian]
13. Shcho bilshe kraina maie perekaziv vid zarobitchan shchodo yii VVP, to bidnishoiu vona ye. [The more remittances a country has about its GDP, the poorer it is]. Retrieved from: https://dt.ua/ECONOMICS/scho-bilshe-krayina-maye-perekaziv-vid-zarobitch... [in Ukrainian]
14. Podra, O., Petryshyn, N., Bayik, O., Bobko, U., & Levkiv H. (2021). The impact of covid-19 pandemic on the volume of labor migration, employment, and remittances. Journal of the Geographical Institute "Jovan Cvijić" SASA. 71(2), 195-202. https://doi.org/10.2298/IJGI2102195P .
15. Podra, O., Levkiv, H., Koval, G., Petryshyn, N., & Bobko, U. (2020). The impact of migration processes on the economy of Ukraine: trends, reasons, consequences. Journal of the Geographical Institute "Jovan Cvijić" SASA. 2020. 70(2). Р. 171-179. https://doi.org/10.2298/IJGI2002171P.
16. Podra O., Kurii L., Alkema V., Levkiv H., Dorosh O. (2020). Theoretical aspects of human capital formation through human potential migration redistribution and investment process. Business: Theory and Practice. 21(1). Р. 71-82. https://doi.org/10.3846/btp.2020.11197.
17. Podra O., Litvin N., Zhyvko Z., Kopytko M., & Kukharska, L. (2020). Innovative development and human capital as determinants of knowledge economy. Business: Theory and Practice. 2020. 21(1). Р. 252-260. https://doi.org/10.3846/btp.2020.11305 https://journals.vgtu.lt/index.php/BTP/article/view/11305#
18. Malynovska O. (2015). Trudova mihratsiia naselennia Ukrainy: choho chekaty v naiblyzhchomu maibutnomu? [Labor migration of the population of Ukraine: what to expect in the near future?]. Retrieved from: http://migraciya.com.ua/news/migrant-workers/ua-labour-migration-ukraine... [in Ukrainian]
19. Semiv L. (2013). Osvitnia mihratsiia yak faktor rozvytku terytorialnykh mihratsiinykh system: natsionalnyi ta yevropeiskyi aspekt. [Educational migration as a factor in the development of territorial migration systems: national and European aspects]. Socio-economic problems of the modern period of Ukraine. 3 (101). 244-253. [in Ukrainian]
20. Baranyk Z., Romanenko I. (2014) Intelektualna mihratsiia yak obiekt statystychnoho doslidzhennia. [Intellectual migration as an object of statistical research]. An efficient economy. 6. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/efek_2014_6_7 [in Ukrainian]
21. Romanenko I. (2014). Prychyny i naslidky intelektualnoi trudovoi mihratsii. [The causes and consequences of intellectual labor migration]. Topical issues of financial and economic development of the state and regions: Coll. of abstracts of scientific works of International scientific conferences. 113-117. [in Ukrainian]
22. Halkiv L. I., Halaz L. V., Bihus M. M. (2021) Osvitnia skladova liudskoho potentsialu: finansovo-statystychnyi ta pratseresursnyi rakursy. [Educational component of human potential: financial-statistical and labor perspectives]. Visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu "Lvivska politekhnika". Seriia "Problemy ekonomiky ta upravlinnia". № 2. Vyp. 5. S. 11-21
23. Podra O. P., Petryshyn N. Ya. (2021). Mihratsiini protsesy v Ukraini: obsiahy, prychyny, naslidky [Migration processes in Ukraine: volumes, reasons, consequences]. Ekonomichnyi analiz: zbirnyk naukovykh prats. T. 31, № 3.