On the Internet, the media are fighting fiercely for every reader, viewer, or listener. Every year it becomes more and more difficult to keep and interest your audience. Therefore, the media are looking for new channels to distribute their products. Official sites and pages on social networks are losing popularity among the audience every year, so editors are forced to look for new and promising ways to communicate with their audience. One of these is the so-called messengers. Messengers are essentially reminiscent of a specific media subscription, but the audience receives the information for free.
The most popular messengers in the world are Telegram, Facebook Messenger, Wechat, and WhatsApp. And in Ukraine, the most popular social platform for communication is Viber (97% of Ukrainians have it downloaded on their mobile devices), as well as Telegram, Facebook Messenger, and WhatsApp. But Ukrainian media most often use Viber and Telegram to distribute their content. Interestingly, in different studies, you can find different terms that describe these social platforms, namely: applications, social networks, communication platforms, social platforms, and messengers.
The first messengers appeared in the 90s of the last century, but the peak of their development is now. They are quickly gaining popularity among the audience, but not all media use them properly to distribute their content. Therefore, we will consider them in more detail, as well as give the rules for publishing posts on such social platforms.
- Global social media overview. Retrieved from https://datareportal.com/social-media-users
- Google. Micro-Moments: Your Guide to Winning the Shift to Mobile. Retrieved from https://think.storage.googleapis.com/docs/micromoments-guide-to-winnings...
- Swart J. Why Messaging Apps Matter for News Engagement, European Journalism Observatory, 2019. Retrieved from https://en.ejo.ch/research/whymessaging-apps-matter-for-news-engagement.
- Amzyn A. A. Osobennosty medyapotreblenyia [Features of media consumption], Kak novыe medya yzmenyly zhurnalystyku, 2016, 86−100 pp.
- Belous E. Pochemu chat-botы - perspektyvnыi kanal kommunykatsyy s audytoryei [Why chat bots are a promising channel for communication with the audience]. Retrieved from http://mediabitch.ru/chat-bot/.
- Horchynska O. Natyvnaia reklama, chat-botы y ozhyvshaia ymeil-rassыlka: poslednye dydzhytal-trendы dlia medyakompanyi [Native ads, chatbots and email newsletters come to life: the latest digital trends for media companies]. Retrieved from https://detector.media/rinok/article/137780/2018-05-23-nativnayareklama-...
- Zahytova Yu. Kakuiu platformu vыbrat dlia sozdanyia svoeho SMY v messendzherakh [What platform to choose to create your own media in messengers]. Retrieved from https://jrnlst.ru/messenger-channels.
- Kornev M. Messendzherы dlia SMY: tolko ynstrument yly novыi kanal dystrybutsyy? [Messengers for media: just a tool or a new distribution channel?], Zhurnalyst, 2015.
- Korshun O. A. Messendzherы dlia SMY: vlyianye servysa mhnovennыkh soobshchenyi na rabotu zhurnalysta tradytsyonnыkh medya [Messengers for the media: the impact of instant messaging on the work of a traditional media journalist], Vesn. Belarusk. dzyarzh. un-ta. FIlalogIya. ZhurnalIstyika. PedagogIka, 2016, 98-100 рр.
- Krupenchenkova K. Messendzheryi dlya SMI: scratchy title v lichnom devayse [Messengers for the media: scratchy title on your personal device]. Retrieved from https://www.deadline.com.ua/blog/messendzhery-dlyasmi-instrument-svyazi-...
- Minchuk I. I. Strategii distributsii novostnogo kontenta v messendzherah Viber i Telegram [Distribution strategies of news content in Viber and Telegram messengers] RegIyanalnyiya SMI RespublIkI Belarus u lIchbavuyu epohu: stan, prablemyi I perspektyivyi, 2019, 157-165 рр.
- Sokolova D. V. Distributsiya novostnogo kontenta v messendzhere Telegram [Distribution of news content in the Telegram messenger]. Retrieved from http://www.mediascope.ru/2380
- Soldatkina Ya. V. Problemyi segmentatsii kontenta v SMI i novyie vozmozhnosti mobilnyih messendzherov [Content segmentation problems in the media and new opportunities for mobile messengers], Vestnik Rossiyskogo universiteta druzhbyi narodov, 2018, 323-330 рр. https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-9220-2018-23-3-323-330
- Paranko S. Modeli mediapotrebleniya. Chto lyudi chitayut, pochemu, kogda i kak [Media consumption models. What people read, why, when and how], Moscow.
- Polyakova A. Telegram, Viber, WhatsApp, Signal - yakim mesendzheram mozhna dovIryati [Telegram, Viber, WhatsApp, Signal - you can add messengers]. Retrieved from https://www.epravda.com.ua/publications/2017/12/15/632183/.
- Yak zminylosia korystuvannia mobilnymy zastosunkamy za 5 rokiv: sotsmerezhi ta mesendzhery [How has the use of mobile applications changed in 5 years: social networks and messengers]. Retrieved from https://tns-ua.com/news/yak-zminilosya-koristuvannya-mobilnimi-zastosunk...