Problem setting. The processes of globalization and international European integration in the modern world set a priority task for Ukraine to implement the provisions of the association agreement between Ukraine and the EU. The formation of a political association and a deep and comprehensive free trade area between Ukraine and the EU depends on the successful reform in the field of Law, judicial proceedings and Justice of Ukraine in the context of European integration.
Recent research and publications analysis. The specific operation of the legal system and the justice sector as part of the state administrative complex were studied by N. Zheleznyak, A. Ivanenko, I. Mikultsya, L. Tatsiy, O. Fedkovich and others. Certain aspects of judicial reform were studied by V. Bryntsev, V. Boyko, V. Kryvenko O. Korotun, M. Kozyubra, R. Kuibida, V. Malyarenko O. Merza V. Opryshko, V. Onopenko, D. Prytyka, V. Stefaniuk, A. Stryzhak. The functioning of justice bodies in different European countries was the subject of research by R. Budetsky, M. Gorbacheva, G. Kulikov, I. Mikultsya, O. Fedkovich, Chumak O. O. and others. However, in the scientific literature, the specifics of reform in the field of Law, judicial proceedings and justice as a factor in the formation of political association between Ukraine and the EU remain an unexplored issue.
Highlighting previously unsettled parts of the general problem. Comprehensive analysis and generalization of the reform process in the field of Law, judicial proceedings and justice as an important factor in the formation of political association between Ukraine and the EU.
The purpose of the article is to analyze the content and features of implementing reforms in the field of Law, judicial proceedings and justice in Ukraine after the signing of the association agreement with the EU.
Paper main body. In order to implement the Association Agreement and the Action Plan “Ukraine-EU in the field of law, freedom and security” in Ukraine, the Strategy for Reform of the Judicial system, judicial proceedings and Related Legal Institutions for 2015 – 2020 and the Concept of Judicial Reform. The reform of the judicial system was designed to cover all state institutions and help increase the level of confidence in the Ukrainian courts among its citizens and European partners.In Ukraine, the laws were adopted: “On Ensuring the Right to a Fair Trial”, which provided for the introduction of the institute of qualification assessment of the professional level of judges, verification of judges’ integrity, introduction of a judge’s career record and improvement of the institute of disciplinary responsibility of judges; “On the Judiciary and the Status of Judges” in order to implement the new provisions of the Constitution of Ukraine on justice and continue the planned stages of judicial reform, which provided for the partial abolition of judicial immunity, the creation of the Supreme Anti-Corruption Court, the Supreme Intellectual Property Court and local district courts; “On Amendments to the Commercial Procedural Code of Ukraine, the Civil Procedure Code of Ukraine, the Code of Administrative Procedure of Ukraine”, which provide for the creation of a Unified Judicial Information and Telecommunication System; “On the prosecutor’s office”. “On Amendments to the Constitution of Ukraine (concerning Justice)” and “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine concerning the Activities of the General Prosecutor’s Office” which abolished prosecutorial supervision over observance and application of laws , the powers of the prosecutor’s office were clearly defined, provided for more thorough and high-quality pre-trial investigation, ensured the independence of prosecutor’s activity through self-government bodies and strengthened the responsibility of prosecutors; “On enforcement proceedings” and “On bodies and persons who enforce court decisions and decisions of other bodies” in order to establish European standards for the enforcement of court decisions. Legal support bureaus were opened as separate structural units of local centers for free secondary legal aid. The reform of the judicial system was designed to cover all state institutions and help increase the level of confidence in the Ukrainian courts among its citizens and European partners. However, due to the lack of political will and corruption of all branches of government, Ukraine has not been able to overcome the main problems that hinder the implementation of progressive changes in it.
Conclusions of the research and prospects for further studies. Reforms in the field of Law, judicial proceedings and justice are an important factor in the formation of a political association between Ukraine and the EU. The EU, in cooperation with international partners, actively supports the implementation of reforms and optimistically assesses Ukraine’s progress. However, in order to achieve full results, it is necessary to implement them more actively in key areas, especially in the field of judicial proceedings and Justice. It is important to move from the adoption of laws and the creation of institutions to the full implementation of these reforms, so that Ukrainian citizens can take advantage of the benefits of the reforms. At the same time, when implementing reforms in the sphere of Law, judicial proceedings and Justice, Ukraine has not been able to overcome the main problems that hinder the implementation of progressive changes in it, which should primarily include the corruption of all branches of government. Therefore, the strategic goals of the reform require countering and preventing corruption in the bodies of Law, judicial proceedings and justice, promoting the development of legal state and civil society and so on.
- Dohovir pro funktsionuvannya YeS. (2021). URL : http://zakon2. rada.gov.ua/laws/show/994_b06 [in Ukrainian].
- Uhoda pro asotsiatsiyu mizh Ukrayinoyu, z odniyeyi storony, ta Yevropeyskym Soyuzom, Yevropeyskym spivtovarystvom z atomnoyi enerhiyi i yikhnimy derzhavamy-chlenamy, z inshoyi storony. (2021). URL : http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_011 [in Ukrainian].
- Plan diy Ukrayina – YeS u sferi yustytsiyi, svobody ta bezpeky. (2021). URL : https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/994_956#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Pro Stratehiyu reformuvannya sudoustroyu, sudochynstva ta sumizhnykh pravovykh instytutiv na 2015 – 2020 roky. № 276. (2015). URL : http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/276/2015 [in Ukrainian].
- Plan diy shchodo realizatsiyi polozhen Stratehiyi reformuvannya sudoustroyu, sudochynstva ta sumizhnykh pravovykh instytutiv na 2015 – 2020 r. (2021). URL : http://www.reforms.in.ua/Content/download/Reforms/Judical.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Pro zabezpechennya prava na spravedlyvyy sud. № 192-VIII. (2015) [in Ukrainian].
- Kuybida, R., Ruda, T. (2016). Pravo na spravedlyvyy sud: inshi aspekty. Ukrayinska Helsinska spilka. URL : hhttps://helsinki.org.ua/pravo-na-spravedlyvyj-sud-inshi-aspekty-r-kujbida-t-ruda-tsentr-polityko-pravovyh-reform /#_ftn1 [in Ukrainian].
- Spilnyy vysnovok Venetsianskoyi Komisiyi ta Dyrektoratu z prav lyudyny y verkhovenstva prava shchodo sudoustroyu ta statusu suddiv i zmin do Zakonu “Pro Vyshchu radu yustytsiyi Ukrayiny”. (2021). URL : http://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/documents/?pdf=CDL-AD%282015%29007-e [in Ukrainian].
- Pro vnesennya zmin do Konstytutsiyi Ukrayiny (shchodo pravosuddya). № 1401-VIII. (2016) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro sudoustriy i status suddiv. № 1402-VIII. (2016) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro pryznachennya suddiv Verkhovnoho Sudu. № 357/2017. (2017) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro sudoustriy i status suddiv...
- Kalashnyk, P. (2021). Konstytutsiynyy sud vyznav nezakonnoyu likvidatsiyu Verkhovnoho sudu za reformoyu 2016 roku. URL : https://hromadske.ua/posts/konstitucijnij-sud-viznav-nezakonnoyu-likvidaciyu-ver hovnogo-sudu-za-reformoyu-2016-roku [in Ukrainian].
- Pro Vyshchu radu pravosuddya. № 5180. (2016) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro Vyshchyy antykoruptsiynyy sud. № 2447-VIII. (2018) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro utvorennya Vyshchoho sudu z pytan intelektualnoyi vlasnosti: Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrayiny. № 299/2017. (2017) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro Konstytutsiynyy Sud Ukrayiny. № 2136-VIII. (2017) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro prokuraturu. № 1697-VII. (2014) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro vnesennya zmin do Konstytutsiyi Ukrayiny (shchodo pravosuddya)...
- Pro vnesennya zmin do deyakykh zakonodavchykh aktiv Ukrayiny shchodo diyalnosti Heneralnoyi prokuratury Ukrayiny. № 1355-VIII. (2016) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro vnesennya zmin do Zakonu Ukrayiny “Pro prokuraturu” (shchodo udoskonalennya ta osoblyvostey zastosuvannya okremykh polozhen). № 578-VIII. (2015) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro vykonavche provadzhennya. № 1404-VIII. (2016) [in Ukrainian].
- Pro orhany ta osib, yaki zdiysnyuyut prymusove vykonannya sudovykh rishen i rishen inshykh orhaniv. № 1403-VIII. (2016) [in Ukrainian].
- Zvit pro vykonannya Poryadku dennoho asotsiatsiyi ta Uhody pro asotsiatsiyu mizh Ukrayinoyu ta YeS (za 2015 roku). (2021). URL : file://C:/ Users/Admin/Downloads/AA_GOEI_REPORT_Dec_2015_final_February_ukr.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Uhoda pro spivrobitnytstvo mizh Ukrayinoyu ta Yevropeyskoyu orhanizatsiyeyu z pytan yustytsiyi. (2021). URL : http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_024-16/paran2#n2 [in Ukrainian].
- Vid svobody peresuvannya do zabezpechennya natsionalnoyi bezpeky. (2021). URL : https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-polytics/2687558-ukraina-ta-es-so-novogo-u-sferi-usticii-svobodi-ta-bezpeki.html [in Ukrainian].